Joint Liability Committee
The Joint Liability Committee (JLC) comprises underwriting representatives from both the Lloyd’s and IUA company markets. It represents the interests of those writing marine liability and related risks within the London market and usually meets every other month.
The role of this committee is to:
- provide a representative forum for the London marine liability market which allows, where appropriate, discussion of common issues or concerns
- promote the best principles and practice of marine liability and related insurance and reinsurance
- initiate project or sub-groups where appropriate to address specific issues
- advise the LMA Marine Committee and the LMA Marine Claims Committee on matters affecting the marine liability sector
- to promote the views and needs of the sector in London and beyond
- to promote the profile of the London market internationally
- to support and co-ordinate relevant representation on, and the work of London Market committees and other appropriate bodies in the UK and overseas
- to guide the Board and secretariat in the LMA’s provision of advice, information and technical services to the marine underwriting and claims community
- to communicate regularly with the marine liability market on pertinent issues including the Committee’s ongoing work and that of its sub-committees and working parties.
Key issues for the Joint Liability Committee currently include:
- Liaison with IOPC
- Legal developments, particularly in the US.