← Return to all programmes
Foundation for Underwriting in the Lloyd’s Market Programme
23 February - 25 March 2021
This programme is aimed at Assistant Underwriters, Underwriting Assistants and Underwriting practitioners from all classes who are in the early stages of their career and/or are new to the Lloyd’s market, likely between 6 and 24 months. Ideally, they should have attended the Introduction to Lloyd's and London market LMA Academy soundbite module UW-LLM and be studying for or passed the CII’s Certificate Qualification.
The programme is a development pathway and attendance at each module is required.
This programme is open to LMA members only.
Date: 23 February - 25 March 2021
Programme: eight live online modules, each of three hours
Online platform: Sessions will be hosted via Zoom, joining details will be sent 24 hours prior to the event
Fee: £1,500 + VAT per delegate
ABOUT THE PROGRAMME
Effective underwriting sits at the heart of an Insurance business and provides a stimulating, interesting and fulfilling career for those who are curious, ambitious, enthusiastic and commercially minded.
Lloyd’s is a unique insurance market and this programme is aimed at Assistant Underwriters, Underwriting Assistants and Underwriting practitioners from all classes who are in the early stages of their career and/or are new to the Lloyd’s market
The programme, which compliments professional studies, consists of eight live online Zoom modules. It will help Lloyd’s underwriters better understand their role; develop their technical knowledge; and actively participate in the market as they build their careers.
Each 3-hour interactive module builds on previous modules and develops the delegate’s learning. The programme considers many aspects of technical and commercial knowledge crucial to underwriting success. It is a practical learning journey underpinning an Underwriter’s career pathway. The programme also offers the opportunity to hear from experienced Lloyd’s Underwriters.
The LMA Underwriting Academy has partnered with Linda Prewett, an independent insurance trainer who worked as a property underwriter for 12 years and now runs her own consultancy business, which provides a range of training courses to the LMA, Corporation of Lloyd’s, Lloyd’s managing agents, insurance companies and London market brokers.
Attending this programme will assist early career Underwriters and Underwriting Assistants:
- articulate the role of Underwriting and the part they play in an Insurance business and the Lloyd’s market
- carry out their duties in the Lloyd’s and Commercial Insurance market
- develop vital technical knowledge for Underwriting decision making and planning. This includes exposure management, accumulation and the role of reinsurance
- appreciate wider aspects of Underwriting considerations
- identify information that is important for managing Underwriting portfolios
- be aware of the regulatory and legal issues relevant to their role.
- increased confidence for early stage Underwriters to deliver in their role
- a solid foundation of knowledge on which an individual can build a sustained, varied and specialised Underwriting career
- consistent, confident application of knowledge underpinning Lloyd’s expectation of Underwriter’s competence and the impact on customer satisfaction
- support for studying CII qualifications
- increased sense of self confidence and wellbeing
- opportunities for networking within the Lloyd’s market.
Each module will last 3 hours and will be delivered on the following dates:
- Module1: Tuesday 23 February 2021
- Module 2: Thursday 25 February 2021
- Module 3: Tuesday 09 March 2021
- Module 4: Thursday 11 March 2021
- Module 5: Tuesday 16 March 2021
- Module 6: Thursday 18 March 2021
- Module 7: Tuesday 23 March 2021
- Module 8: Thursday 25 March 2021
There are 20 places available, with three places per managing agent (unless further spaces are available once the deadline for applications has passed). Applicants will be informed as to whether their application has been successful once the deadline has passed.
To apply, please download and complete the application form and email this to firstname.lastname@example.org by 17.00 on Monday 01 February.